Grandmaster Mantak Chia is the creator of the Healing Tao, Tao Yoga, Universal Healing Tao System, and Tao Garden Health Spa & Resort, located in the beautiful northern countryside of Chiang Mai, Thailand. The author of more than 60 books on Taoist practices, Mantak Chia has taught countless enthusiastic students the principles of Taoist internal arts over the past years. His books have been translated into more than 40 languages, which has made the Universal Healing Tao System global.
Master Chia was born in Thailand to Chinese parents in 1944. When he was six, Buddhist monks taught him how to meditate and still his mind. While still a grammar school student, he learned traditional Thai boxing and, in the years to follow, Tai Chi Chuan from Master Lu, who soon introduced him to Aikido, Yoga, and advanced levels of Tai Chi. It was Master Yi Eng who authorized Master Chia to teach a system that combined Taoist, Buddhist, and Zen teachings. Since childhood, he has been studying the Taoist approach to life.
… I started training with my Master Yi Eng and studied as much as possible to reach spiritual refinement. After many years of diligent studying, my Master said I was a master and that I could teach from now onwards. And I started to teach. First, in Bangkok, I later moved to New York and started my own clinic, healing patients with the ancient wisdom that my masters have taught me. I worked on people with physical and mental health issues, helping them to heal themselves and take control of their physical, mental, and spiritual bodies. Finally, my students asked me to offer a structured healing system to make Taoist wisdom accessible to more people. Thus, the Universal Healing Tao System was conceived.Grandmaster Mantak Chia
Years later, when he was a student in Hong Kong, a senior classmate named Cheng Sue-Sue introduced him to his first esoteric teacher and Taoist master Yi Eng (I Yun). At this point, Master Chia seriously began his studies of the Taoist way of life. He learned how to circulate energy through the Microcosmic Orbit and how to open the remaining six extraordinary channels through the practice of the Fusion of the Five Elements. As he studied Inner Alchemy further, he learned the Enlightenment of the Kan and Li, Sealing of the Five Senses, Congress of Heaven and Earth, and Reunion of Heaven and Man.
When Master Chia was in his early twenties, he studied with Master Meugi in Singapore, who taught him Kundalini, Taoist Yoga, and the Buddha Palm. He learned how to clear energy blockages within his own body and to pass the life force energy through his hands so that he could heal Master Meugi’s patients. He then learned Chi Nei Tsang from Dr. Mui Yim Wattana in Thailand.
A while later, he studied the Shao-Lin method of internal power with Master Cheng Yao-Lun, whose system combined Thai boxing and Kung Fu. He learned a series of secret exercises for organs, glands, and bone marrow —known as Bone Marrow Nei Kung and Strengthening and Renewal of the Tendons. Master Chia also studied with Master Pan Yu, whose system bound Taoist, Buddhist, and Zen teachings together. He studied with Master Pan Yu on the exchange of Yin and Yang energy between men and women and how to develop the Steel Body. Master Chia later studied Western anatomy and medical science for two years to further understand the mechanisms behind healing energy.
Qi Gong Teacher for more than 45 years
Using his knowledge of Taoism combined with other disciplines, Master Chia founded Natural Healing Center in Thailand and trained instructors to spread this knowledge. Five years later, he decided to move to New York, where in 1979, he opened the Universal Healing Tao Center as a unique and complete health care system from body detox to highest meditation practices. During his years in America, Master Chia continued his studies in the Wu system of Tai Chi with Edward Yee in New York.
Master Chia’s mastery of this ancient knowledge —enhanced by his study of other disciplines— has resulted in the Healing Tao & Universal Healing Tao System. In more than 45 years of teaching, Master Chia has published over 60 books on Taoist practices, has trained countless students, and certified many instructors to spread his vast knowledge. Today, he is still carrying his devotion to teaching more students and instructors.
It is Master Chia’s sincere wish that every individual has the opportunity to complete the harmonious evolution of body, mind, and spirit. Through practice, the student learns to take personal responsibility for their own physical, emotional and spiritual well-being.
A solid foundation is laid to achieve one’s spiritual potential by learning how to nurture and heal oneself. By re-establishing a direct connection with the natural energies surrounding us, a subtle awareness necessary for spiritual progress arises. Ultimately, the boundaries of the physical body are transcended by the development of the soul and spirit bodies.
Through self-healing, the healer is born. Once the energy channels, or meridians, have been opened and the energies of the internal organs harmonized, this unique integrated energy becomes available to heal others. A boundless healing power becomes available to benefit all by opening and connecting to the energy sources around us in Nature and the Universe beyond.
Some Chronological History
- June 1990. Master Chia was honored in San Francisco by the International Congress of Chinese Medicine and Qi Gong, naming him the first recipient of the Qigong Master of the Year award. He received this award again in 2012.
- 1994. Master Chia moved back to Thailand.
- December 2000. Two meditation halls, two open-air chi kung pavilions, indoor Tai-chi, Tao-yin & Chi Nei Tsang hall, natural swimming pool, Pakua clinic, world-class gym, and recreational facilities.
- February 2002. Master Chia created a complete environment for higher-level Taoist practices.
- September 2003. Master Chia opened the Spa employing Western and Eastern technologies with traditional Thai massage, Indian ayurvedic therapies, and Chinese Chi Nei Tsang Massage. The Spa —supervised by certificated medical doctors with holistic degrees, provides colon therapy, stem-cell cancer prevention, and natural cancer cure treatments.
- March 2004. Master Chia introduced a complete holistic mind, body, and spirit training at Tao Garden.
- July 2009. Master Chia introduced the five-star eight forces Detox Spa with saunas, therapy color heated pool, jacuzzi, and internal massage treatments. Raw food and fasting programs are also available at our organic Juice Bar.
- September 2010. Universal Healing Tao instructors celebrated 30 years of Master Chia’s teaching in Tao Garden, having over 100 instructors for the celebration. During these years, Master Chia has taught tens of thousands of students. He has trained and certified over 1,500 instructors and practitioners.
- April 2011. The Watkins Review listed Master Chia #23th as the most influential spiritual leader and author living today.
- 2012. The Mind Body Spirit magazine (previously The Watkins Review) ranks Master Mantak Chia as #18 of the 100 Most Spiritually Influential Living People. The Mind Body Spirit magazine selected leaders whose impact on world spiritual development was most inspirational.
- August 2016. Universal Healing Tao instructors & students celebrated thirty-five years of Master Chia’s teaching with the event Back to the Source in Thailand, having over 100 participants.
- April 2019. Tao Garden closes due to Covid-19. Master Chia starts training his students on an online platform.
- July 2022. Tao Garden opens its doors to guests and students. The first seven-week retreat after the closure is held. Many students from different walks of life came together to learn from Master Chia.